I. Punarvashu Atreya:-
- Time period :- 900 year BC
- Other names- Ateya, Krishna Atreya, Chandrabhaga.
- Greatest scholar of kayachikitsa.
- S/O – Sage Atri, hence named as Atreya and Chandrabhagi, hence named Chandrabhaga.
- Born in punarvashu nakshatra hence called as Punarvashu Atreya.
- Belongs to Krishnayajurveda shakha hence named Krishna Atreya.
- Learned ayurveda from Bhardwaja and taught to his 6 disciples :-
- He used to announce the definite subject at begining of each lesson.
- His entire teaching methods are in form of questions and answers.
- The stage of rational medicine began with Atreya.
- The concepts of Tridosha, Panchmahabhuta, Rasa, Guna, Virya, Vipaka, Prabhav etc explained scientifically.
- Atreya can be called as father of scientific medicine because before to Atreya the cause of disease was believed as divine or due to supernatural power.
- The pushyanga churna formulation is attributed to Atreya.
II. Bhikshu Atreya
- Time period :- 700 year BC
- Teacher of Jivaka
- Worked as professor in Takshila university.