In the latest announcement, a Ph.D Degree shall be mandatory requirement for Direct
Recruitment to the post of Assistant Professors in University with the
effect from 1st July, 2021. However Masters degree with NET or Ph.D. will
continue to be the minimum eligibility requirement for Direct Recruitment
to the post of Assistant Professors in colleges.
In order to attract and retain the best quality teachers and other academic staff in Universities and Colleges, the UGC has brought out new regulations. This was disclosed by Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar while addressing media persons in New Delhi today. The Highlights of
the Regulations are as below:
1. Incentives to teachers as provided in the earlier Regulations of 2010 and
subsequent amendments have been retained. These include incentives for
2. API based PBAS System has been removed. A new simplified teacher
evaluation grading system has been introduced and research score added for
Universities to improve research output.
3. Promotion criteria under CAS for University teachers has been made more
research oriented while in case of College teachers, CAS criteria is more
focused on teaching.
4. For the first time provision for promotion in Colleges will be up to Professor
5. Special provision for recruitment of Assistant Professors in Universities and
Colleges for Ph.D Degree holders from a University/Institution in the top
500 Global rankings has been made.
The Regulations mandate introduction of one month induction programme
for newly recruited Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/Higher
7. Ph.D Degree has been made mandatory for promotion to Assistant Professor
(Selection Grade) in colleges from 01.07.2021. Ph.D Degree will be
mandatory for direct recruitment to Assistant Professors in Universities
8. For the first time, weightages are assigned for CAS in respect of MOOCs
and E-Content in Universities and Colleges.
9. Research clusters will be created in the Universities within the State for
sharing research facilities, skills and infrastructure to ensure optimal
utilization of resources and creating synergies amongst higher education
10.Up to 10% of the existing sanctioned strength of Professors in Universities
shall be appointed as Senior Professors in the Universities. Senior Professors
in Universities will be appointed through direct recruitment and through
promotion under CAS.
11.Universities will accord permission and provide need based facilities to
Colleges teachers to supervise Ph.D/M.Phil scholars.
12.Special category of medal winners in Olympics, Asian Games and
Commonwealth Games in eligibility criteria for Assistant Director/College
Director, Physical Education and Sports and Deputy Director, Physical
Education and Sports in Universities has been made to promote sports in
Universities and Colleges.