- Two recent scientific studies have claimed that herbal formulations, based on traditional medicinal plants like punarnava, could be effective in preventing and managing ailments related to the kidney.
- The study, conducted at the Banaras Hindu University (BHU), was published in the World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceuticals Science in 2017.
- Another study published in the Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.
- According to a case study conducted in Banaras Hindu University (BHU) which has been published in the World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceuticals Sciences, a woman kidney patient was given Punarnava based syrup for a month. It was found that the creatinine level and urea level in her blood had gone down significantly to a healthy level. Not only this, but her hemoglobin level had also improved. Hence, it was concluded that Punanrva based drugs not only make the kidney’s health but also improves the hemoglobin level.
- The Punarnava based syrup (Neeri KFT) is a potent nephro-protective formulation, protecting kidneys from nephrotoxins, including oxidative damage induced by lead acetate,” the study said.
- Head of Department of the BHU’s Department of Dravyaguna, K N Dwivedi, said the herbal formulations in Neeri KFT could be an alternate to dialysis to some extent.
- Senior nephrologist from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Manish Malik said the scope of treatment of kidney ailments in allopathy were limited, costly and not fully successful as well.
- Sanchit Sharma, executive director of Aimil Pharmaceuticals, which is engaged in manufacturing and marketing of herbal drug Neeri KFT, said it was after numerous tests that this formulation had been developed to provide relief to kidney patients.
Courtesy:- Medibulletin and APTA AYURVEDA NEWS DESK