- In a move aimed at promoting traditional medicines, the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) is all set to start a major campaign to discover new drugs from ayurvedic formulations with the help of its three dozen laboratories.
- An agreement has also been signed between CSIR and AYUSH Ministry to expedite the research work and both the departments have expressed their hope that their joint efforts would help in the discovery of new ayurvedic drugs for curing lifestyle-based new diseases.
- According to the CSIR official, the joint programme would focus on developing new medicines through extensive research work.
- The agreement to explore new herbal drugs was signed by CSIR DG Shekhar C Mande and Ayush Secretary Rajesh Kotecha. As per the pact, both the departments would initiate two programmes – one would be on traditional knowledge inspired drug discovery while the other would be on food age medicine.
- Notably, both the departments — CSIR and Ayush — have already developed Traditional Knowledge Digital Library (TKDL) in which all the formulae of Ayurveda has been written in many foreign languages.
Courtesy :- http://Ministry of AYUSH, GOI.